NFC based attendance Web App

Last day, our work integration attendance system here at LPU changed, having us to write check in and out time whenever we went in and out of the class.
I was just wondering if there is any way to automate this without any extra device, and came across Web NFC API.
For a bit of context, Everyone in LPU has a NFC based ID card and every NFC card has a unique serial number.
This can be mapped to the particular student to mark their in and out timings quickly from a mentor’s mobile device with NFC.

Checkout my quick prototype :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

cc @Soumya.Sootar @AmanNinave @uthra Can you red team this . Can you check the solution to see if it’s possible to game this? Also the feasibility/ease of use.

Whether we pick it up or not, cool showcase :slight_smile:

1 Like

@nikiljos @anilgulecha this seems a really good idea but what if all student’s phone don’t support NFC. This can be a challenge.

The idea I had was, everyone tapping to mentor’s phone. So basically the mentor’s phone act as a attendance machine.

It’s exactly same as the paper based system, but a bit more automated.

1 Like

Potential issues:

1. What if mentors don’t have an NFC phone.
  2. Someone forgets the card?
  3. (everyone has a card - not lost?)

Potential advantages:

1. quicker
  2. efficient.

Maybe I can suggest solutions to the issues mentioned:

1. An NFC-enabled phone or NFC reader tool can be provided to mentors, by Kalvium.
  2. No one can forget the ID card because without tapping the card, we can’t exit the hostel.
  3. Since our hostel and main gate entrance/exit require us to tap our IDs, it can’t be a scenario where someone stays without an ID card for more than a week, if lost. We immediately need to give an application for the lost ID card and get a new one to continue accessing hostels, libraries, etc smoothly.

Thanks to @nikiljos for a better solution. And hope the above suggested solutions also help solve the potential issues.

Forgot one BTW - Potential issues:

1. Works across all campuses.

I think the web is the way to go, it’s universal and available – NFC I’m unsure. Providing tools and administration (what if the tool breaks down, MDM for phones, loss policies) - are all extra overheads, to be taken up after considering the benefits weigh over.

Maybe this can be used as a short term solution in LPU only until a more permanent solution is developed using web across? @anilgulecha