How I (ethically)hacked into my Official University 's Website : Manipal University

Hi everyone, I’m Vedant Yaduvanshi, a first-year student at Manipal University Jaipur, currently in my second semester of Kalvium Squad - 58. Hacking and cybersecurity have been passions of mine for years, and I’ve been honing my skills at an good level.

Few Days Ago , i was navigating through Manipal Jaipur’s official website, something caught my eye—an unexpected vulnerability that could potentially compromise the security of the entire site. The realization of this vulnerability filled me with both shock and concern.

Driven by curiosity and a desire to understand the extent of the vulnerability, I embarked on a journey of exploration and testing. Using tools like SkipFish . SQLMap etc , I delved deeper, uncovering layers of potential risk that lay hidden within the website’s infrastructure.

Faced with an ethical dilemma, I knew I had to act responsibly. Reporting the vulnerability to the university became my top priority, driven by a sense of duty to protect the integrity of our institution’s online presence.

With a humble and polite tone, I reached out to the university president, Gopalakrishna Prabhu K, expressing my concerns and requesting a meeting to discuss the vulnerability. I conveyed my genuine intention to contribute to the university’s cybersecurity efforts.

To my relief, President Prabhu responded promptly, acknowledging the seriousness of the situation. In our meeting, he assured me that immediate action would be taken to address the vulnerability, emphasizing the university’s commitment to ensuring a secure online environment for all stakeholders.

Here is the link to my report :https://www.canva.com/design/DAGDQvgLfWA/dr0Nj2-3rFApDT_wxZvm0Q/view?utm_content=DAGDQvgLfWA&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=editor

25 Likes

Hats off @Vedant021. :saluting_face:

2 Likes

Hey @Vedant021, that was a really good catch. Great to see you interested in cyber security and contributing to real-world problems. Congratulations on your finding! Keep up the spirit and explore more :smile::fire:

5 Likes

BTW, if there’s someone interested in cybersecurity introduction (via OWASP top 10 vulnerabilities), I can point to a resource and build a group to focus and work on it.

6 Likes

me and @dwij.jindal are interested anil.

2 Likes

Pls ping on a group Google chat with us added. and let’s plan something and share it here?

1 Like

sure @anilgulecha :+1:t2:

Hey @anilgulecha,
I am also interested in being a part of this group.

1 Like

Folks, there’s a public space: https://chat.google.com/room/AAAA97SOIkw?cls=4 interested folks can join. Closing the topic here.