24-Hours Hackathon Project: Waste Management

I participated in a Web-Dev Hackathon few days ago. Me and my team ( @Aayush , @Pranshu , @dwij.jindal ) developed a website to handle the problem of Waste Mismanagement in societies and neighbourhoods.

We were awarded the first prize in this Hackathon.

Showcase Video

You can also visit here to read this explanation with videos.

Github Repository: GitHub - aayushharora/WasteX: A project created by our team "Chads" during a Hackathon!
Deployed: https://wastex-x.vercel.app/

Features/Services which we developed to solve the waste mismanagement problem:

1. Society + User Integration: Society presidents can come on our portal and register thier society and then residents can register themselves. While registering, the user will be provided with an option to select the society. Their profile will be linked with the society chosen at the time of sign-up.
    Feature Showcase Video

2. Raise a voice: Using this feature, any user can raise a complaint against an area/society for not maintaing cleanliness. The highlight of this feature is that it automatically composes a mail directed to the grievance mail-id of that city. We also added the functionality of uploading pictures directly from user’s device in the complaint form. The image uploaded by the user is converted into Base64 format and then stored in our database.
    Feature Showcase Video

3. Donations: Any person who is interested to donate for this cause or sponsor an upcoming cleaning drive/activity can use our website to do the same. To make this process smoother, we integrated Razorpay.
    Feature Showcase Video

4. Education/Awareness Page: We developed an interactive card based education page instead of a long article based page so that the users actually go through the educational content.
    Feature Showcase Video

Good practices which we exectued at the time of developement:

1: Private Routing
2: User Authentication & Authorization (using JWT, etc…)
3: Mobile Responsiveness approach followed
4: Error Handling

Misc.:

Any user can access all the complaints and societies registered on the website.
Checkout this video (Private Routing also shown)

Known Bugs/Limitations:

1- Images load/change slowly in the education page
2- Website crashes after successfull payment on Razorpay
3- Website cannot handle more than 5-6 complaints because of enormous size of Base64 strings

Let me know if you find any more bugs in the replies.

Upcoming Features:

1- Recycling Guide
2- Chat groups for scoieties
3- Cleaning Drive planning
4- E-Waste management (Integration with Cashify, etc.)
5- User Awareness Blog Posts

Team Info:

Aayush: aayushwrld (Aayush) · GitHub
Rikhil: rikhil7 (Rikhil) · GitHub
Pranshu: pranshupandey19 (Pranshu Pandey) · GitHub
Dwij: Dwij13 · GitHub

18 Likes

Very cool folks! Kudos. I’ve pinned this on kalvium.community as well…

4 Likes

Thanks for featuring the project on kalvium.community.

Hey @rikhiltaneja first of all congratulations, It would be great if you present this in the Hackers of Kalvium (HOK) group too.

1 Like

Thanks for your wishes. @vidvath.j

I will reach out to you on Google Chat regarding presenting this in HOK soon.